Jell-o Magma chambers
Magma Chambers that are good enough to Eat
In these yummy volcano activities you will be creating a magma chamber out of Jell-O and creating crystals out of mixed fruit!
- Bowl with a round bottom that will hold at least six cups of material
- Measuring cup
- Large pkg red Jell-O
- Variety of canned fruit (Pineapple chunks, pears, peaches, etc)
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Pour the package of Jell-o into the bowl.
the 2 cups of boiling water and stir until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in 1 cup of cold water.
- Place the Jell-O in the refrigerator and
let it set until it is very thick before adding the canned fruit.
the various cans of fruit and add them to the Jell-O.
- Put the Jell-O with the mixed fruits back in the refrigerator to
- Let the Jell-O sit on the counter for about 25 minutes
before trying to remove it from the mold.
- Turn the Jell-O in the mold over onto a
- The shape of your Jell-O Magma Chamber is similar to
- If your magma chamber breaks apart slightly as you was released from the mold it may be that is what might have happened underground in a
real magma chamber!
- Now its time to enjoy eating your yummy creation!
Our Volcano activity book is packed with 51 pages of fun activities related to volcanoes. Activities include Popcorn Volcano, Cotton Ball Eruptions, and Volcanic Islands. Myrna Martin
Click for More Information and to Order
Science behind the activity
In these volcano activities you have learned that magma chambers are
areas underground where molten rock collects beneath a volcano. The
molten rock begins to cool in these chambers and crystals form in the
liquid rock. The red Jell-o represents the molten rock and the fruit are
crystals that are growing as the molten rock cools.
KIDS FUN Science Bookstore
Check out Myrna Martin's award winning textbooks, e-books, videos and rock sets. The Kids Fun Science Bookstore covers a wide range of earth science topics. Click here to browse.